Education opens doors that lead to better work and life opportunities, ultimately strengthening the individual and his and her community. Beginning in December 2018, Ironbound Community Corporation will launch our new, independent a range of programming for adults looking to build skills for employment opportunities, greater community engagement, and personal growth — from citizenship test preparation classes to English as a Second Language to college courses.
In partnership with other ICC programs, including Family Success Centers and Environmental Justice, ICC also offers courses such as the following:
- Citizenship Classes: The “Understanding Civics and Government” course is an intensive series of citizenship classes that offers a comprehensive history of The United States, tips on how to handle the personal interview, and other information necessary to take the naturalization examination given by the United States Department of Immigration and Naturalization. At almost 100%, ICC’s citizenship test classes have one of the highest pass rates of programs of its kind. A key strength of this course is that English as a Second Language skills are taught in tandem with civics lessons. Students from all over the world build cross-cultural bonds as they take this important step towards U.S. citizenship. More than 1,000 students have benefited from our Citizenship classes.
- Parenting Programs: These courses offer parents the chance to engage with each other around the challenges they face raising children. Through a structured, hands-on curriculum implemented over several months, parents take on important parenting issues like bedtime routines, discipline strategies, and child nutrition.
- Community Workshops: ICC also offers a host of independent workshops, bringing in outside resources or it own staff expertise to meet community needs. ICC’s many workshops include financial literacy, family health, children’s asthma, various life-skills areas, and environmental and zoning issues.
- For information on enrolling in any of the above, please call: (973) 465-0555 ext. 201 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In partnership with Essex County College, ICC offers:
- College Coursework: Ironbound adults have the opportunity to work toward college credit right in the heart of their community with ICC’s adult education programs. ICC’s Community Center serves as an Extension Center for Essex County College, and students can get the full range of ECC services, including financial aid and tutoring. For more information, please click here.